Rule #1: Don’t be evil.
Oddmall is dedicated to creating a safe and welcoming environment for all people (except evildoers and people who want to create an unsafe and unwelcoming environment for others). In pursuit of that we offer the following guidelines, rules, and procedures.
What to do if there is a problem.
- TELL A STAFF MEMBER. The Oddmall Souvenirium is constantly occupied by staff during show hours. Outside of show hours we are usually socializing with our Oddmall family members. We are not difficult to find. If you have trouble finding an Oddmall staff member please find a venue security representative (most of our venues have these, but not all). If things are desperate just call out and we’ll probably hear you.
- DO NOT attempt to contact us through social media or email during a show. Although we do our best to monitor such things it is often impossible for us to do so during a busy convention. COME TO US IN PERSON.
- We will thoroughly investigate any complaint and deal with it according to the guidelines listed below. Sometimes it takes a bit of time to get both sides of the story and make an educated decision, so patience is occasionally required.
- We will treat everybody with respect and attempt to make a decision informed by the provable or observable facts, interviewing witnesses and doing other research as necessary.
- If a situation requires law enforcement intervention we will contact the necessary authorities.
- Anyone who attempts to get our attention by instigating a smear campaign or deliberately posting unfounded bad reviews will be permanently banned from all Oddmall shows. We are doing our best. Attempting to get our attention by attacking the community we’ve spent years creating is supremely uncool.
- Although we prefer a more diplomatic approach, Oddmall reserves the right to remove any person, without refund, for violation of any of these rules.
- If it is illegal in Ohio it is illegal at Oddmall.
- Don’t be a jerk.
Harassment and Intimidation
- No person shall intentionally cause another person to feel inferior, frightened, unwelcome, intimidated, or uncomfortable.
- Unconsensual touching of any nature is prohibited.
- Cosplay is not consent, as the saying goes. Just because someone is wearing a sexy outfit does not mean they want you to approach them in a sexual manner. Treat people with respect and dignity regardless of what they are wearing. Do not take pictures without asking.
- Nobody is a nobody. Everyone deserves respect, regardless of gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, age or religion.
Shoplifting & Criminal Activity
- Anyone caught stealing from any entity or person at Oddmall or willingly causing damage or destruction to personal property will be prosecuted.
- If the person who stole our mannequin’s arm and head at Con on the Cob a few years ago returns it unharmed we will make an exception to rule #1 of this section.
- Oddmall and Con on the Cob are not responsible for items stolen from or lost by vendors or attendees, although we will do our best to help recover such items and prosecute those responsible.
Costumes & Props
- Attendees and vendors are encouraged to attend in costume.
- No metal weapons with points or sharp edges (knives, swords, spears, shurikens, etc… are permitted). Exceptions can be made on a case by case basis with the consent of Oddmall staff.
- No real guns or firearms are allowed. Fake guns are allowed if they are obvious toys. Any fake gun designed to look like a real gun must have an orange safety tip in place at all times.
- Any weapons purchased at the show must be secured (either safety tied or in a box) while the bearer is on the show floor and should be taken to a vehicle or hotel room as soon as possible.
- No explosives or volatile or poisonous chemicals are allowed.
- Bows, crossbows, and similar weapons and props must be unstrung. Exceptions can be made during the costume contest.
- Be aware of the size of your costumes and props.
- Do not misuse props or attack innocent people. If you are engaging in a mock battle or something of that nature make certain the area around you is clear. You are responsible for any damages or injuries caused by your costume or props.
Outside Promotions and Distribution of Media
- We encourage promoters of other shows and events to distribute their promotional materials at Oddmall (although it’s in bad taste if your event falls on the same day as one of ours).
- Event promoters should feel free and encouraged to speak with vendors and visitors about their event. Please only do so when the vendor in question is not otherwise engaged.
- The distribution of literature or espousal of events that promote discrimination, hate, or run counter to any of the ideals expressed elsewhere in these guidelines is vehemently forbidden.
Refund & Payment Policies
- Due to previous experiences Oddmall does not offer refunds under any circumstances. If you have a medical or family emergency or must cancel your booth for any reason please let us know. Sometimes, given enough time, we can transfer your booth to a different Oddmall show on a case by case basis.
- Outdoor shows are Rain or Shine events. By signing up for such shows vendors acknowledge weather conditions and other circumstances beyond anyone’s control might hamper the event’s attendance and that Oddmall is not responsible in such cases.
- Booths must be paid for at the time of registration. We will not hold your space for you until you pay for it. In the past we have held booths without pay and, as a result, lost thousands of dollars in unpaid booth fees. Exceptions can be made on a very limited basis.
- If a show must be canceled due to situations beyond our control (such as severe weather, damage to a venue, disease outbreaks, acts of nature, etc…) no refunds will be enacted. We will, however, attempt to reschedule for a later date or carry booth payments forward to future Oddmall shows.
- Sales are permitted only by vendors who have actually purchased a vendor booth. Selling items without a purchased booth is unfair to vendors who did purchase a booth.
- No vendor may leave his or her booth in order to initiate a sale or address a potential customer that is currently visiting another vendor’s booth.
- Harrassment or overly aggressive marketing toward customers is forbidden.
- Please inform an Oddmall staff member as soon as possible if a child or impaired adult is missing. We will initiate a lockdown, if possible, and help you search, contacting authorities if necessary.
- If we are in a venue with a loudspeaker or intercom we will make announcements attempting to locate a missing child.
- When reporting a lost child please present the child’s name, age, identifying clothing, physical description, and last known location so we can be more efficient in our search.
- Although we will do our best to help find a missing child, Oddmall assumes no liability in such cases.
- Parents or guardians are responsible for the actions of their children.
Lost & Found
- The Lost & Found is located at the Oddmall Souvenirium. We will do our best to reunite people with their lost items.
- Unclaimed items become the property of Oddmall.
- Oddmall assumes no liability for lost, stolen, or damaged property.
Venue Specific Rules
- The John S. Knight Center does not allow any outside food or drinks.
- Oddmall will abide by and enforce all guidelines and rules instituted by the CDC and local and state governments.
- All Oddmall attendees must follow CDC, state, and local guidelines regarding the wearing of masks, social distancing, and other safety procedures. Anybody violating these rules will be asked to leave.
- By attending Oddmall or registering for an Oddmall vendor booth you acknowledge that you have read these policies and agree to abide by them.